This application packet is intended for those individuals who have completed all the requirements for the 3-year interim certificate and are now seeking the 5-year renewable, initial Idaho certificate/credential (i.e., out-of-state candidates who have completed their 3-year interim requirements, ABCTE interim certificate completers, or Alternative Authorization – Content Specialist completers).
IMPORTANT: Items below are required unless otherwise noted. The application guidelines are intended for all 3-year interim certificate completers, and, therefore, some items may or may not be applicable. Please submit all applicable items in one complete packet. An application will not be evaluated until all materials have been received.
1) Completed and signed application ( Form B1 - Application for an Idaho Certificate/Credential)
2) Completed fingerprint card (required if not already on file or if the applicant is changing districts). A $40 processing fee must be included with the completed fingerprint card. The Idaho certificate/credential will not be issued until the results of the background investigation check are received from the BCI/FBI. A card verifying eligibility for certification will be issued if the applicant meets all academic and/or mentoring requirements for certification. Possession of this card will allow a person who is eligible for certification to pursue employment as an Idaho educator pending results of the background investigation check. Another background check is not required if the candidate has a valid background check on file with the SDE and is still employed in the same school district.
Fingerprint cards are not available on the State Department of Education website. To obtain a fingerprint card please email Andrea Capdeville at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you receive the fingerprint card, take it to your local police department or sheriff’s office and have your prints rolled on the card. Return the fingerprint card, fee, and forms with your Idaho teacher application packet.
3) Application fee - $75
Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education. Credit cards are not accepted. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins.
$75 for the certificate/credential fee
$40 for the fingerprinting/background investigation check
One check or money order for both fees is acceptable.
4) Official transcripts (if applicable) from the college or university demonstrating completion of coursework required. Grade reports, faxed material, copies or other unofficial transcripts are not acceptable for certification. Official transcripts should be included with the application packet. Placement files are not accepted. NOTE: Official transcripts are NOT required for the ABCTE candidate.
5) Official Praxis II assessment score sheet or notarized photocopy (if applicable) demonstrating competency in the certification/endorsement area. NOTE: ABCTE candidates are NOT required to take Praxis. The ABCTE test is considered a rigorous assessment by No Child Left Behind federal definition. If, however, the initial certificate holder adds an endorsement by means other than the ABCTE route, Praxis may be required.
6) Evaluator checklist (applicable to ABCTE candidates only) ABCTE candidates are required to submit the signed evaluator checklist demonstrating completion of all the required components as outlined on the bottom following web page: click here.
Important information for candidates who were issued a three-year ABCTE interim certificate prior to January 2009: The B11- Verification of Mentoring form is required for those who received their ABCTE interim certificate prior to January 2009; all others must complete the mentor checklist and the associated components. The B11 form can be downloaded from the forms section of the main teacher certification homepage. NOTE: this form will not be accepted and the packet will be returned if the three-year ABCTE interim was issued after January 2009.
7) Institutional recommendation (applicable to Alternative Authorization – Content Specialist candidates only). ( Form B2-A Institutional Recommendation for Alternate Route Completers). Alternative Authorization – Content Specialist completers must submit a signed institutional recommendation to verify completion of the college/university plan for certification. This form or the college/university’s own recommendation form may be used by the dean of the College of Education or the college official responsible for teacher certification to verify the completion of a State Board of Education-approved alternate route program. It is the responsibility of the applicant to have the institutional recommendation completed.
Upon completion of the above-noted items and verification that all requirements for certification are met, the applicant qualifies for an initial, five (5)-year, renewable Idaho certificate/credential.
Please Note: (Initial Renewal Requirements) An initial, five (5)-year, Idaho certificate/credential can be renewed only if the applicant has completed six (6) semester credit hours (or nine quarter credit hours) in the last five (5) years. Three (3) of the semester credit hours must appear on a transcript from an accredited college/university. The remaining three (3) credits can appear on a transcript OR can be district-approved, in-service credits. See Renewal of an Idaho Certificate/Credential for additional information.
The Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course is required to renew the five (5)-year certificate/credential for all elementary teachers, secondary teachers who will be providing direct reading instruction, and any administrator in an elementary setting or who will be supervising the above-mentioned secondary teacher(s). Click on the following web link for more information regarding the ICLC/ICLA requirement: Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course/Assessment.
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027