Special Education Advisory Panel
Announcement: Public Meeting Notice
SEAP is announcing an open meeting on Monday, May 8, 2017. The meeting will be held in the Barbara Morgan Conference Room at the Office of the State Department of Education, 650 W. State Street, Boise Idaho.
This meeting is available for public comment. Please contact Brenda Arnold at (208) 332-6896 prior to Thursday, May 4, 2017.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that every state establish an Special Education Advisory Panel (SEAP) that advises the SDE on the education of children with disabilities (ages 3 through 21).
The responsibilities of Idaho's SEAP, as defined in the IDEA Amendments of 2004, are as follows:
- Advise the SDE of unmet needs in the education of children with disabilities
- Comment publicly on rules or regulations proposed by the state regarding the education of children with disabilities
- Provide advice to SDE staff in developing evaluations and reporting data to the Secretary of Education
- Advise the SDE in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in federal monitoring reports
- Advise the SDE in developing and implementing policies relating to the organization of services for children with disabilities
The membership of the panel includes select organizations that are specifically focused on the needs of individuals with disabilities. Parents of children with disabilities (ages 3 through 21) are also vital members that represent 50 percent of the panel. The goal of the composition of the panel is to include all major stakeholders who can provide resources and support for individuals with disabilities.
If you would like to serve on SEAP, please complete and submit an application form. In Idaho, advisory panel members are appointed by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (IDAPA 08.02.03.109.08). Panel members serve for a three year term.
- 2016-2017 Panel Membership List
- Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Application for Membership
- By-Laws and Operating Procedures
- Primer for SEAP Members and SDE Staff
Meeting Agendas and Minutes
Frequently Asked Questions
For training, please view the Idaho Training Clearinghouse.