Vision: To advance an innovative and flexible comprehensive state
education system for Idaho’s American Indian student population from kindergarten
through post-secondary education that focuses on results, inspires all students,
and prepares them to be successful in meeting today's challenges and tomorrow's
Mission: The Idaho State Department Office of Indian Education
works in collaboration with Idaho’s tribes and educational stakeholders to
create the conditions for equitable access and academic success for American Indian
students. Maintaining and sustaining the unique status of American Indians, preserving
cultural identity, and raising cultural awareness are the foundations of our work.
- Increase transparency and understanding among the State Department of Education
(SDE), Local Education Agencies (LEA), and Tribal Education Agencies (TEA) of local,
state, and federal policies, procedures, and financial regulations for American
Indian education in an effort to maximize resources.
- Focus on efforts to assist in removing barriers for the access and success of education
for the American Indian population within the state of Idaho.
- Expand the exposure of research-based best practices in teacher preparation and
professional development that support American Indian students and thereby fostering
the success of all students.
- Continue activities that strengthen the reciprocal relationships and advance the
dialogue among the offices of the SDE, American Indian Tribes, State Board of Education,
and colleges and universities.
- Provide timely and relevant information on American Indian education through technical
assistance, guidance, and support to Idaho's educators, schools, districts, students,
parents, business leaders, and the community, with a focus on continuous improvement.
Best Practices for Educators
Directory to Idaho Tribes Websites
Directory to Idaho Tribal Schools