2013 Annual Educator Preparation Clinic Video
RULE: IDAHO STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION (IDAPA 08, TITLE 02, CHAPTER 02)
012. ACCREDITED INSTITUTION (4-1-97)
For purposes of teacher certification, an accredited school, college, university, or other teacher training institution is considered by the Idaho State Board of Education to be one that is accredited by a regional accrediting association recognized by the State Board of Education or an alternative model approved by the State Board of Education.
100.OFFICIAL VEHICLE FOR APPROVING TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAMS.
(Section 33-114, Idaho Code) (4-1-97)
01. The Official Vehicle for the Approval of Teacher Education Programs. The official vehicle for the approval of teacher education programs will be the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) approved Idaho Standards for the Initial Certification of Professional School Personnel. The Idaho Standards are based upon the accepted national standards for educator preparation and include state-specific, core teaching requirements. The State Department of Education will transmit to the head of each Idaho college or department of education a copy of all revisions to the Idaho Standards for the Initial Certification of Professional School Personnel. Such revisions will take effect and must be implemented within a period not to exceed two (2) years after notification of such revision. (3-29-12)
02. Reference Availability. The Idaho Standards for the Initial Certification of Professional School Personnel, incorporated by reference in Subsection 004.01, are available for inspection on the Office of the State Board of Education’s website at www.boardofed.idaho.gov. (3-29-12)
03. Continuing Approval. (3-29-12)
a. The state of Idaho will follow the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) model by which institutions shall pursue continuing approval through a full program review every seven (7) years. The full program review shall be based upon the Idaho Standards for Initial Certification of Professional School Personnel. (3-29-12)
b. The state of Idaho will additionally conduct focused reviews of state-specific, core teaching requirements in the interim, not to exceed every third year following the full program review. (3-29-12)
04. Payment Responsibilities for Teacher Preparation Program Reviews. The Professional Standards Commission is responsible for Idaho teacher preparation program reviews, including assigning responsibility for paying for program reviews. To implement the reviews, it is necessary that: (4-6-05)
a. The Professional Standards Commission pay for all in-state expenses for on-site teacher preparation reviews from its budget. (4-6-05)
b. Requesting institutions pay for all out-of-state expenses related to on-site teacher preparation program reviews. (4-6-05)
Notice: Regarding Adding Endorsements to Idaho Certificates. The Idaho State Department of Education no longer conducts transcript evaluations to determine endorsement eligibility.
Please Click Here for more information.
All educator preparation programs must be SBOE-approved in order for their graduates to be eligible for certification. Idaho participates in a partnership agreement with the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). All preparation programs must meet NCATE Standards in order to be considered an SBOE-approved program.
The NCATE standards and a list of NCATE approved programs are available at www.ncate.org
|Standards for Initial Certification of Professional School Personnel (For program reviews after July 1, 2015)|
|Standards for Initial Certification of Professional School Personnel (For program reviews after July 1, 2013)|
|Standards for Initial Certification of Professional School Personnel (For program reviews after July 1, 2012)|
|Standards-2013 Proposed Revisions|
|Endorsements-2013 Proposed Revisions|
|Framework for Teaching Form (Idaho Core Teacher Standards Prior to July 1, 2013)|
|Framework for Teaching Form (Idaho Core Teacher Standards After July 1, 2013)|
|Framework for Teaching Reference Guide|
The Post-Baccalaureate program is a graduate program which leads to certification.
|Post-Baccalaureate Route to Certification|
|B2 - Institutional Recommendation EC/ECSE, Elementary, Secondary, Exceptional Child or Pupil Personnel Services|
|B2-A - Institutional Recommendation Alternate Route Completers|
|B3 - Institutional Recommendation School Administration - Pre-K-12 School Principal|
|B4 - Institutional Recommendation School Administration - Superintendent|
|B5 - Institutional Recommendation Director of Special Education|
|B6 - Professional Experience Report|
|B8 - Institutional Recommendation Consulting Teacher of Special Education|
|B9 - Institutional Recommendation Supervisors of Special Education|
|Boise State University|
|BYU-Idaho||College of Idaho|
|Idaho State University|
|U of I|
Link to State Reports »