Professional Standards Commission - Code of Ethics
This version of the Code of Ethics for Idaho Professional Educators was revised by the Professional Standards Commission and approved by both the State Board of Education and the Idaho legislature. (IDAPA 08.02.02.076)
The Idaho Code of Ethics consists of Ten (10) Principles. Below is a summary of those principles - please refer to the complete document for details
Code of Ethics: The Ten Principles (Summary)
- Principle I - Professional Conduct. A professional educator abides by all federal, state, and local education laws and statutes.
- Principle II - Educator/Student Relationship. A professional educator maintains a professional relationship with all students, both inside and outside the physical and virtual classroom.
- Principle III - Alcohol and Drugs Use or Possession. A professional educator refrains from the abuse of alcohol or drugs during the course of professional practice.
- Principle IV - Professional Integrity. A professional educator exemplifies honesty and integrity in the course of professional practice.
- Principle V - Funds and Property. A professional educator entrusted with public funds and property honors that trust with a high level of honesty, accuracy, and responsibility.
- Principle VI - Compensation. A professional educator maintains integrity with students, colleagues, parents, patrons, or business personnel when accepting gifts, gratuities, favors, and additional compensation.
- Principle VII - Confidentiality. A professional educator complies with state and federal laws and local school board policies relating to the confidentiality of student and employee records, unless disclosure is required or permitted by law.
- Principle VIII - Breach of Contract or Abandonment of Employment. A professional educator fulfills all terms and obligations detailed in the contract with the local board of education or education agency for the duration of the contract.
- Principle IX - Duty to Report. A professional educator reports breaches of the Code of Ethics for Idaho Professional Educators and submits reports as required by Idaho Code.
- Principle X - Professionalism. A professional educator ensures just and equitable treatment for all members of the profession in the exercise of academic freedom, professional rights and responsibilities while following generally recognized professional principles.
Notice: Important Revisions to the Code of Ethics will be posted in the late spring of 2014. Please check back often.
Code of Ethics for Idaho Professional Educators (Full Manual)