RULE: IDAHO STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION (IDAPA 08, TITLE 02, CHAPTER 02)
017. CONTENT, PEDAGOGY AND PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT FOR CERTIFICATION.
01. Assessments. State Board of Education approved content, pedagogy and performance area assessments shall be used in the state of Idaho to ensure qualified teachers are employed in Idaho’s classrooms. The Professional Standards Commission shall recommend assessments and qualifying scores to the State Board of Education for approval. (4-2-08)
02. Out-of-State Waivers. An out-of-state applicant for Idaho certification holding a current certificate may request a waiver from the above requirement. The applicant shall provide evidence of passing a state approved content, pedagogy and performance area assessment(s) or hold current National Board for Professional Standards Teaching Certificate. (4-2-08)
03. Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment. All applicants for initial Idaho certification (Kindergarten through grade twelve (12) from an Idaho approved teacher education program must demonstrate competency in comprehensive literacy. Areas to be included as parts of the assessment are: phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, writing, and assessments and intervention strategies. Each Idaho public higher education institution shall be responsible for the assessment of teacher candidates in its teacher preparation program. The assessment must measure teaching skills and knowledge congruent with current research on best literacy practices for elementary students or secondary students (adolescent literacy) dependent upon level of certification and English Language Learners. In addition the assessment must measure understanding and the ability to apply strategies and beliefs about language, literacy instruction, and assessments based on current research and best practices congruent with International Reading Association/National Council of Teachers of English standards, National English Language Learner’s Association professional teaching standards, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education standards, and state accreditation standards. (4-7-11)
04. Technology Assessment. All applicants for initial Idaho certification (Kindergarten through grade twelve (12)) from an Idaho approved teacher education program must demonstrate proficiency in relevant technology skills and practices to enhance classroom management and instruction. Each Idaho public higher education institution shall be responsible for the assessment of teacher candidates in its teacher preparation program. The assessment must measure understanding and the ability to apply strategies and beliefs about the integration of technology based on current research and best practices congruent with the International Society for Technology in Education professional teaching standards, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education standards, and state accreditation standards. (4-7-11)
In most cases a Praxis II assessment is required for Idaho certification. The Praxis II assessment program is subject to state and federal regulations. Access the following website to view and register for a PRAXIS II assessment: www.ets.org/praxis/
Subject area endorsements and the corresponding PRAXIS II assessment can be located by accessing the following link: Subject Area Endorsements on a Secondary Certificate
Specific certificate and corresponding endorsement requirements can be located by clicking on the desired certificate on the Teacher Certification Home Page.
The course offerings and graduation requirements at all state approved teacher preparation programs must be consistent with the state board approved, research based "Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Plan."
All Idaho teachers working on interim certificates, alternate routes or coming from out of state, shall complete a state approved reading instruction course as a one-time requirement for full certification.
For Additional Information access the following link: Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Plan