Renewal of an Idaho Certificate/Credential
The certificated educator has sole responsibility for maintaining current, valid Idaho certification. For renewal purposes, the applicant must meet current State Board of Education rule and Idaho statutory renewal requirements.
Six (6) professional development credits must be completed in order to renew an Idaho Certificate/Credential. You are NOT required to submit verification of the 6 professional development credits with this application; however, the state will be auditing a minimum of 10% of teachers annually. You may receive a letter requesting the above documentation. If you are unable to provide the requested documentation and show proof of completion prior to signing this document, your certificate will be invalidated. Submitting a fraudulent application for certification is grounds for discipline (see
Idaho Code of Ethics).
NOTE: The applicant is responsible for notifying the State Department of Education certification office of either a name change or change of address.
Certificates are valid from September 1 to August 31 of any given year. All regular Idaho credentials must be renewed every five (5) years to remain valid.
Certificates are renewed on September 1 of the year in which the certificate expires. The renewal application and $75 fee may be submitted anytime between January 1 and August 31 of the year in which the certificate expires. Current renewal/recertification requirements
A complete packet must include the following items:
- Completed and signed application (Form B1-R - Application for Renewal of an Idaho Certificate/Credential)
- Application Fee - $75
Checks and money orders are to be made payable to State Department of Education. Credit cards are accepted. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins.
- Completed fingerprint card (required if the applicant has had a break in service or if the applicant is changing districts). A $40 processing fee must be included with the completed fingerprint card. The Idaho certificate/credential will not be issued until the results of the background investigation check are received from the BCI/FBI. Another background check is not required if the candidate has a valid background check on file with the SDE and is still employed in the same school district without a break in service. Fingerprint cards are not available on the State Department of Education website. To obtain a fingerprint card please email Andrea Capdeville at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you receive the fingerprint card, take it to your local police department or sheriff’s office and have your prints rolled on the card. Return the fingerprint card, fee, and forms with your Idaho teacher application packet.
- Verification of completion of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course (ICLC), or passage of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment (ICLA) (if applicable)
- Verification of completion of the Idaho Mathematics In-service Program (MTI) (if applicable)
Click on the following webpages to determine who is required to meet the ICLC/ICLA
and MTI requirements: Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course/Assessment and
Mathematical Thinking for Instruction .
IMPORTANT: All certificated personnel will be required to complete at least six (6) semester credit hours or the equivalent within the five (5)-year period of validity of the certificate being renewed.
Credits taken for recertification/renewal:
- Must be educationally related to the professional development of the applicant.
- Must be specifically tied to content areas and/or an area of other endorsement.
- Must be specific to pedagogical best practices or for administrative/teacher leadership; or be tied to a specific area of need designated by district administration.
- At least three (3) semester credits must be taken for university or college credit.
- In-service hours may be used by Idaho educators who hold a current Idaho teaching certificate as a substitute for up to three (3) of the six (6) semester credit hours required for certificate renewal. Fifteen (15) contact hours are equivalent to one (1) in-service hour. Form B7 - Verification of Completion of Equivalent In-Service must be completed by the proper official at an Idaho school district or Idaho public school for the in-service to count toward certificate renewal.
- Continuing Education Units verified only by a CEU transcript or certificate cannot be accepted. However, if training that earned CEUs is signed off on an Idaho District Inservice Form (B7), those clock hours may be accepted.
- Official transcripts must be provided upon request to verify the recertification/renewal credits completed through an accredited college or university. Photocopies, faxed copies, or internet printouts of transcripts are not considered official and will not be accepted. If the transcripted course is not directly educationally related to the content area a signed Verification of College/University Course Content Approval form (Form B13 Verification of College/University Course Content Approval) must accompany the official transcripts.
Official transcripts must be submitted with the renewal application if adding a new certificate or endorsement area.
NOTE: You are NOT required to submit verification of the six (6) professional development credits with the renewal application;
however, the state will be auditing a minimum of 10 percent of teachers annually. You may receive a letter requesting official transcripts and the verification of equivalent in-service. If you are unable to provide the requested documentation your certificate will not be renewed. Submitting a fraudulent application for certification is grounds for discipline (see
Idaho Code of Ethics).
Recertification credits may not be carried over from one (1) renewal/recertification period to the next.
Two options are available for submitting your renewal. They are 1) Online with a credit card or 2) by mailing a completed packet as outlined below. You may only renew online if you are not making any changes to your personal information or credentials. If you need to change your address or name or need to update your credentials, you will need to mail us a completed packet.
Online Renewal - There will be a convenience fee of $3.25 added to each online renewal transaction. If you do not wish to pay this fee, you will need to mail a completed packet as described below.
NOTE: Copies of your renewed certificate will be mailed to your home address. Certificates cannot be mailed directly to the school district office.
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027