Professional Standards Commission - Code of Ethics
This version of the Code of Ethics for Idaho Professional Educators was revised by the Professional Standards Commission and approved by both the State Board of Education and the Idaho legislature. (IDAPA 08.02.02.076)
The Idaho Code of Ethics consists of Ten (10) Principles. Below is a summary of those principles - please refer to the complete document for details
Code of Ethics: The Ten Principles (Summary)
- Principle I: A professional educator abides by all federal, state, and local laws and statutes.
- Principle II: A professional educator maintains a professional relationship with all students, both inside and outside the classroom.
- Principle III: A professional educator refrains from the abuse of alcohol or drugs during the course of professional practice.
- Principle IV: A professional educator exemplifies honesty and integrity in the course of professional practice.
- Principle V: A professional educator entrusted with public funds and property honors that trust with a high level of honesty, accuracy, and responsibility.
- Principle VI: A professional educator maintains integrity with students, colleagues, parents, patrons, or business personnel when accepting gifts, gratuities, favors, and additional compensation.
- Principle VII: A professional educator complies with state and federal laws and local school board policies relating to the confidentiality of student and employee records, unless disclosure is required or permitted by law.
- Principle VIII: A professional educator fulfills all terms and obligations detailed in the contract with the local board of education or education agency for the duration of the contract.
- Principle IX: A professional educator reports breaches of the Code of Ethics for Idaho Professional Educators, and submits reports as required by Idaho Code.
- Principle X: A professional educator demonstrates conduct that follows generally recognized professional principles with the right to exercise academic freedom.
Notice: Important Revisions to the Code of Ethics will be posted in the late spring of 2014. Please check back often.
Code of Ethics for Idaho Professional Educators (Full Manual)