NOTICE: As of September 1, 2015, official transcripts must be submitted along with your application for all certificates.
Renewal of an Idaho Certificate/Credential
NOTE: June through October is a busy time of the year. Please allow 8 - 10 weeks for all certification applications to be processed during this time.
The certificated educator has sole responsibility for maintaining current, valid Idaho certification. For renewal purposes, the applicant must meet current State Board of Education rule and Idaho statutory renewal requirements.
Six (6) professional development credits must be completed in order to renew an Idaho Certificate/Credential. You ARE required to submit verification of the 6 professional development credits with this application. Please see “Credits Taken for Recertification/Renewal” below.
Certificates are valid from September 1 to August 31 of any given year. All regular Idaho credentials must be renewed every five (5) years to remain valid.
Certificates are renewed on September 1 of the year in which the certificate expires. The renewal application and $75 fee may be submitted anytime between January 1 and August 31 of the year in which the certificate expires.
A complete packet must include the following items:
- Completed and signed application (Form B1-R - Application for Renewal of an Idaho Certificate/Credential)
- Application Fee - $75
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to State Department of Education. Credit cards are not accepted. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins.
- Verification of completion of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course (ICLC), or passage of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment (ICLA) (if applicable)
- Verification of completion of the Idaho Mathematics In-service Program (MTI) (if applicable)
- Verification of six (6) professional development credits (see Credits Taken for Recertification/Renewal section below)
View the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course/Assessment and
Mathematical Thinking for Instruction webpages to determine who is required to meet the ICLC/ICLA
and MTI requirements.
IMPORTANT: All certificated personnel will be required to complete at least six (6) semester credit hours or the equivalent within the five (5)-year period of validity of the certificate being renewed.
Credits Taken for Recertification/Renewal:
- Must be educationally related to the professional development of the applicant.
- Must be specifically tied to content areas and/or an area of other endorsement.
- Must be specific to pedagogical best practices or for administrative/teacher leadership; or be tied to a specific area of need designated by district administration.
- At least three (3) semester credits must be taken for university or college credit.
- In-service hours: Idaho educators who hold a current Idaho teaching certificate can use up to three (3) in-service hour to meet the six (6) semester credit hours required for certificate/credential renewal. Fifteen (15) contact hours are equivalent to one (1) in-service hour. Form B7 - Verification of Completion of Equivalent In-Service must be completed by the proper official at an Idaho school district or Idaho public school for the in-service to count toward certificate renewal.
- Continuing Education Units verified only by a CEU transcript or certificate cannot be accepted. However, if training that earned CEUs is signed off on an Idaho District Inservice Form (B7), those clock hours may be accepted.
- Official transcripts must be provided to verify the recertification/renewal credits completed through an accredited college or university. Photocopies, faxed copies, or internet printouts of transcripts are not considered official and will not be accepted. If the transcripted course is not directly educationally related to the content area a signed Verification of College/University Course Content Approval form (Form B13 Verification of College/University Course Content Approval) must accompany the official transcripts.
Official transcripts must be submitted with the renewal application.
NOTE: Recertification/Renewal credits may not be carried over from one (1) renewal/recertification period to the next.
NOTE: If you hold an Occupational Specialist certificate, do NOT use the on-line renewal process. For information on renewing an Occupational Specialist certificate, view the Professional Technical Education (PTE)'s Certification Home Page.
Two options are available for submitting your renewal. They are 1) Online with a credit card or 2) by mailing a completed packet as outlined below. You may only renew online if you are not making any changes to your personal information or credentials. If you need to change your address or name or need to update your credentials, you will need to mail us a completed application packet.
Online Renewal - There will be a convenience fee of $3.25 added to each online renewal transaction. If you do not wish to pay this fee, you will need to mail a completed packet as described below.
NOTE: Send official transcripts and/or Form B7 - Verification of Completion of Equivalent In-Service AFTER the online application has been submitted.
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027