The State Department of Education (SDE) Broadband Program is responsible for reimbursing Idaho’s E-rate eligible entities for the remaining portion of eligible broadband costs after their E-rate discount is applied. Reimbursement methodology is determined by the Broadband Program and the Education Opportunity Resource Committee.
The Broadband Program compiles and analyzes broadband utilization data from entities receiving reimbursement for broadband services. This analysis is used to forecast budget requests and help entities determine their broadband needs.
Technical support is also available for the interactive video conferencing systems, which are used to share courses between schools.
Idaho Code §33-910(1) created the Broadband Infrastructure Improvement Grant (BIIG) Fund. Monies from this fund are available to be distributed by SDE to provide state matching funds for eligible special construction projects to deploy new fiber (or fiber-equivalent) for high-speed broadband.
Idaho Code §33-5603, the Education Opportunity Resource Act, created the Education Opportunity Resource Committee (EORC) to advise SDE on the broadband and related service needs of all E-rate eligible entities.
The EORC is responsible for budget and policy recommendations to SDE regarding broadband services and establishes the methodology for broadband reimbursement.
Per Idaho § 33-5603, the committee is comprised of 8 members of various state educational entities. They are as follows:
- Designee of state superintendent of public instruction – Daniel Vogt, Broadband Program Coordinator for State Department of Education
- Appointed by state board of education – Chris Campbell, Chief Technology Officer of Idaho State Board of Education
- Three members appointed by Idaho association of school administrations:
- Superintendent of school district with fewer than 1,000 students – Dave Carsen, Hansen SD
- Superintendent of school district with between 1,000 students and 4,999 students – Dale Layne, Jerome SD
- Superintendent of school district with 5,000 students or greater – Scott Wolstenhulme, Bonneville SD
- State librarian: Stephanie Bailey-White
- Two members appointed by the Idaho Education Technology Association (IETA) – Seth Deniston, Coeur d’Alene SD; Destry Jones, Firth SD
2019-2020 EORC Open Meetings
Monday, November 16, 2020 (Agenda)
Wednesday, June 24, 2020 (Minutes)
Thursday, June 11, 2020 (Minutes)
Tuesday, March 31, 2020 (Minutes)
Wednesday, February 26, 2020 (Minutes)
Wednesday, January 29, 2020 (Minutes)
Monday, December 9, 2019 (Minutes)
Monday, March 11, 2019 (Minutes)
Thursday, January 10, 2019 (Minutes)