Contact SDE

The staff at the State Department of Education are ready and willing to assist you if you have a question or concern about public education in Idaho.

Please keep in mind that many decisions are made by your locally elected school board trustees. Therefore, we always encourage parents and patrons to contact the local school district first. However, we are always willing to take your call or e-mail.

If you need assistance or have questions about an education program, please contact us through one of these options:

  • Toll Free: (800) 432-4601 
  • Local: (208) 332-6800 
  • Fax: (208) 334-2228

Civil Rights Training and Grievances

Federal law prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or disability in any educational programs or activities receiving federal financial assistance. (Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.)

It is the policy of the Idaho State Department of Education (SDE) not to discriminate in any educational programs or activities, or in employment practices. All employees of the SDE are responsible for acting in accordance with this policy.

Filing Civil Rights Grievance Complaint

Grievances by employees or other persons alleging illegal discrimination by the SDE, or any of its employees, based on race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital or family status should be filed with the Office of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction as follows:

  • Inquiries regarding compliance with this nondiscriminatory policy may be directed to the Office of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction, PO Box 83720, Boise, ID  83720-0027, (208)332-6800.
  • A complaint should be filed in writing by the complainant; the complainant’s representative, parent or guardian; or both. Any complaints received by the SDE by telephone or orally will be recorded by the SDE in written form.
  • The complaint should set forth the date, place, and nature of the discriminatory action, and specify the remedy sought by the complainant.

For information, please review the Civil Rights Training and Grievances Policy.