Special Education Advisory Panel
Announcement: Open Meeting Notice
The Special Education Advisory Panel (SEAP) is announcing an open meeting on Monday, February 13, 2023, at the JRW Building, 700 W. State St. (East Conference Room) in Boise from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm MDT.
The meeting agenda will be posted here prior to the meeting.
This meeting is available for public comment. Those interested in observing the meeting or participating in the open comment portion should contact Brenda Arnold at (208) 332-6896 prior to 5:00 pm MDT Thursday, February 9, 2023.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that every state establish an Special Education Advisory Panel (SEAP) that advises the SDE on the education of children with disabilities (ages 3 through 21).
The responsibilities of Idaho's SEAP, as defined in the IDEA Amendments of 2004, are as follows:
- Advise the SDE of unmet needs in the education of children with disabilities
- Comment publicly on rules or regulations proposed by the state regarding the education of children with disabilities
- Provide advice to SDE staff in developing evaluations and reporting data to the Secretary of Education
- Advise the SDE in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in federal monitoring reports
- Advise the SDE in developing and implementing policies relating to the organization of services for children with disabilities
The membership of the panel includes select organizations that are specifically focused on the needs of individuals with disabilities. Parents of children with disabilities (ages 3 through 21) are also vital members that represent 50 percent of the panel. The goal of the composition of the panel is to include all major stakeholders who can provide resources and support for individuals with disabilities.
If you would like to serve on SEAP, please complete and submit an application form. In Idaho, advisory panel members are appointed by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (IDAPA 08.02.03.109.08). Panel members serve for a three year term.
- 2022-2023 Panel Membership List
- Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Application for Membership
- By-Laws and Operating Procedures
Note: Meeting materials are available upon request. Please contact Brenda Arnold at email@example.com or (208) 332-6896 if you wish to receive a copy of the meeting materials for a specific SEAP meeting.
For additional documents, click the appropriate + sign below to open a dropdown list.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers, click the appropriate + sign below.
For training, please view the Idaho Training Clearinghouse.