Idaho Reading Indicator
The current Idaho Reading Indicator (IRI) is given to all (K-3) public school students whom qualify. The IRI is an early reading diagnostic and screener for students in K-3rd grade. The screener is mandatory for Idaho public school students in the Fall and Spring with optional yearly progress monitoring.
- While the Idaho State Department of Education does not currently have an alternate assessment that measures early literacy, districts can utilize other diagnostic tools to assess student’s emerging reading skills.
- Scores from other diagnostic tools (Core Phonics) can NOT be correlated to the IRI skill level scale and should not be submitted to the SDE.
- If a student has the IRI listed in their IEP, districts must adhere to it and assess accordingly.
- The IRI is not subject to accountability calculations for participation.
- The IRI can be administered to students Kindergarten-3rd grade.
General Questions Related to Special Education
2018-2019 Test Dates
August 20 - September 28, 2018
May 1 - May 31, 2019