Special Education & Alternate Assessments
Welcome to the Special Education and Alternate Assessments webpage. The Special Education Department and the Assessment and Accountability Department collaborate to inform schools and parents on the educational trends related to standards-based instruction, classroom assessments materials, and accessibility options. Idaho believes in high expectations and achievement for every student, including students with disabilities.
One element of having high expectations for students with disabilities is having them participate in statewide assessments. The expectation is that every student with a disability participate in all statewide assessments. This expectation focuses an IEP team’s assessment participation decision not on IF the student will participate, but HOW the student will participate. A student with a disability can participate in statewide assessments in one of three ways:
- Regular assessment without accommodations.
- Regular assessment with accommodations.
- Alternate assessment, intended only for those students with the most significant cognitive disabilities, representing about 1.0% of the total student population.
- The ISAT alternate assessment is known as the Idaho Alternate Assessment (IDAA)
- The ACCESS for ELs alternate assessment is known as the Alt-ACCESS.
2020-21 IDAA Test Administration
The IDAA in ELA/Literacy, Mathematics, and Science are new assessments and will be administered online this year. The IDAAs use the same secure browser used for ISATs. School test coordinators will upload and manage test settings for qualifying students in TIDE. Information related to administering the IDAAs is located in the ISAT Portal.
Spring 2021 IDAA Test Administration Information
|Learner Characteristics Inventory||IDAA ELA/Literacy & Math||IDAA Science|
|Grades 3 – 8, 10, & 11||Grades 3 – 8 & 10||Grades 5, 8, & 11|
|February 1 - May 14, 2021||March 15 - May 28, 2021||March 15 - May 28, 2021|
|Required only once per student||Operational Field Test with Standard Setting in Summer 2021||Independent field test. No scores reported|
IDAA ELA & Mathematics Standard Setting
- Draft IDAA Policy PLDs - Proposed November 2020
- A Parent Guide to the IDAA - Reviewed August 2020
- IDAA Participation Criteria - Reviewed August 2020
- IDAA Participation Worksheet - Reviewed August 2020
- ELA-Literacy Extended Content Standards
- IDAA ELA Blueprint Grade 3
- IDAA ELA Blueprint Grade 4
- IDAA ELA Blueprint Grade 5
- IDAA ELA Blueprint Grade 6
- IDAA ELA Blueprint Grade 7
- IDAA ELA Blueprint Grade 8
- IDAA ELA Blueprint High School
- Math Extended Content Standards
- IDAA Blueprint Grade 3
- IDAA Blueprint Grade 4
- IDAA Blueprint Grade 5
- IDAA Blueprint Grade 6
- IDAA Blueprint Grade 7
- IDAA Blueprint Grade 8
- IDAA Blueprint High School
- Science Extended Content Standards - Adoped October 2019
Frequently Asked Questions
Idaho Alternate Assessment (IDAA)
Students with Disabilities Taking Other Statewide Assessments
Training resources related to ISAT accommodations and administering the IDAA are currently under development. As training materials become available they will be posted here. Topics will include: ISAT accessibility, a decision-making process for teams related to identifying assessment accommodations, IDAA practice tests, etc.