Certificate for Out-of-State Applicants
This application is for individuals who are from out-of-state who:
- Holds a current, valid certificate based on full completion of an approved certification program recognized by the NASDTEC interstate agreement
- Have completed an educator preparation program approved by NCATE/TEAC/CAEP within the last two years
- Audiologist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, school counselor, school nurse, school psychologist, school social worker, or speech-language pathologist, please refer to the Pupil Service Staff Certificate page for the application process.
Important: All required documents must be included in one packet for an application to be considered complete.
June through October is a busy time of year for Certification. Please allow 14-16 weeks processing time for your application once it has been submitted.
A complete application must include the following items:
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education (SDE)
- Credit cards are not accepted at this time
- Payment is non-refundable
- Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins
- The certificate must have a visible, valid time period
- A copy of a current, valid out-of-state certificate is required if you did not complete an NCATE, TEAC, OR CAEP-approved certification program in the last 2 years. If you completed an NCATE, TEAC, or CAEP-approved certification program in the last 2 years, an Institutional Recommendation will be accepted in place of the out-of-state certificate
- If your state does not issue hard copy certificates, include a copy printed from its website verifying your certification. This copy does not need to be notarized
- Official transcripts must verify at least a baccalaureate degree and certification and endorsement areas
- Official transcripts may be opened by the applicant as long as they are printed on the institution’s original security paper
- Please include transcripts with your packet in order to expedite your application
- If transcripts are not included with your packet, please note in your application whether you are sending them electronically or by mail
- Transcripts will not be accepted until two weeks after the application is received as we cannot link them to your application until it is received
- Official transcripts sent electronically/faxed directly from the university/college are acceptable
- The university/college may send electronic transcripts directly to email@example.com
If including Institutional Recommendation in lieu of out-of-state certificate, include documentation of any content testing required by insitution.
For applicants applying for an Administrator Certificate:
- Professional experience gained while holding a certificate is the only experience accepted. Experience gained while student teaching and/or substitute teaching is not accepted
- Applicants for an Administrator Certificate are required to verify a minimum of four (4) years of full time certificated experience working with Pre-K-12 students while under contract in an accredited school setting
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027
Frequently Asked Questions
No content available.