Renewal of an Idaho Certificate
This application is for individuals who hold a five (5) year renewable certificate that is coming up for renewal. The certificates are valid for five (5) years from September 1 to August 31. This certificate must be renewed to maintain validity; failure to renew the certificate before it expires will require an application for reinstatement.
You may apply for additional endorsement(s) and/or certificate(s) at the time of renewal for no additional fee. Appropriate documents must be included to verify the endorsement requirements have been completed. For a list of appropriate documents visit the Revision of an Idaho Certificate webpage.
June through October is a busy time of year for Certification. Please allow 10-12 weeks processing time for your application once it has been submitted. Application status may be verified by visiting the Certification Lookup Tool.
A complete packet must include the following items:
- Check or money order payable to the State Department of Education or SDE
- Credit cards are not accepted at this time
- Payment is non-refundable
- Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins
- Credits taken for recertification must be educationally related to the individualized professional learning plan (IPLP) or related to the professional practice of the applicant:
- Credits must be specifically tied to content areas and/or an area of any other endorsement; or
- Credits must be specific to pedagogical best practices or for administrative/teacher leadership; or
- Credits must be tied to a specific area of need designated by district administration
- Credits must be taken during the validity period of the certificate. The validity period is listed in parenthesis next to the certificate(s) listed on the credential
- Idaho district/charter school/private school in-service hours may be applied toward up to three (3) credits:
- Fifteen (15) contact hours are equivalent to one (1) semester credit hour
- Idaho District In-service form must be completed by the proper official at an Idaho district/charter school/private school for the in-service to count toward certificate renewal
- Idaho district/charter school/private school may approve Continuing Education Units (CEU) using the Idaho District In-service form
- Unofficial or official transcripts
- Please include transcripts with your packet in order to expedite your application
- Unofficial transcripts may be used for renewal only
- If transcripts are not included with your packet, please note in your application the method by which you are sending them. Please have them sent two weeks after you mail the application
- Transcripts sent electronically directly from the university are acceptable. Send electronic transcripts to email@example.com
- Transcripts faxed directly from the university/college may be sent to (208) 334-2228
- Three (3) quarter credit hours are equal to two (2) semester credit hours
- All administrators in Idaho are required to complete a three (3) credit course in the Idaho framework for teachers' evaluation
- Transcripts with the course listed should be included with the packet
- For more information including a list of approved courses, see the Idaho State Board of Education’s Administrative Certificate Renewal Requirement webpage.
Mail complete packet to:
State Department of Education
Attn: Teacher Certification
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027
Online Renewal Option – Credit/Debit Card Required
- If you hold an Occupational Specialist certificate, do NOT use the online renewal process. For information on renewing an Occupational Specialist certificate, view the Career & Technical Education (CTE)'s Certification Home Page
- If you need to make changes to your personal information or credential, do NOT use the online renewal process. You will need to mail us a completed application packet
- There is a convenience fee of $3.25 added to each online renewal transaction
- You will need to submit Verification of Six (6) Professional Development Credits as described above
- To access the Online Certificate Renewal System, please visit the Online Renewal webpage
Frequently Asked Questions
No content available.