Interim Certificate for Non-Traditional Candidates
This application is for individuals who are applying for their three-year interim certificate and need to complete one of the following non-traditional educator preparation programs:
- American Board of Certification for Teacher Excellence (ABCTE)
- College of Southern Idaho (CSI)
- Lewis-Clark State College (LCSC)
- Teach for America (TFA)
Important: All required documents must be included in one packet for an application to be considered complete.
June through October is a busy time of year for Certification. Please allow 14-16 weeks processing time for your application once it has been submitted.
During the validity of the three (3) year interim certificate, the applicant must meet all conditions/requirements listed on the credential for the specific certificate and endorsement areas.
If you have completed the requirements of your three (3) year interim certificate and are ready to apply for your five (5) year renewable certificate please visit our Interim Certificate Completer page.
A complete application must include the following items:
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education (SDE)
- Credit cards are not accepted at this time
- Payment is non-refundable
- Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins
- Official transcripts must verify baccalaureate degree
- Official transcripts may be opened and verified but the institution’s original security paper version must be submitted
- Please include transcripts with your packet in order to expedite your application
- If transcripts are not included with your packet, please note in your application whether you are sending them electronically or by mail
- Transcripts will not be accepted until two weeks after the application is received as we cannot link them to your application until it is received
- Official transcripts sent electronically/faxed directly from the university/college are acceptable
- The university/college may send electronic transcripts directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit one of the following. The document does not need to be notarized.
- ABCTE Professional Certificate
- CSI – Letter from CSI
- LCSC – Letter from LCSC
- TFA – Letter from TFA
The candidate applying for the nontraditional interim certificate is required to pass a state board approved pedagogy and content assessment and include verification with the application. Include one of the following:
- Score report showing passage of a formal assessment, such as:
- Praxis II in the applicable content/endorsement area
- Out-of-state equivalent of the Praxis II in the applicable content/endorsement area
- ABCTE assessment, (i.e., the ABCTE Professional Teaching and Knowledge or ABCTE content test) in the applicable content/endorsement area can be used if the candidate is no longer seeking to complete the ABCTE program and is going to participate in the CSI nontraditional or LCSC non-traditional program instead
- BA/BS in the specific content/endorsement area
- Completed Uniform Standard for Evaluating Content Competency for Non-Traditional Candidates (Rubric)
When all required documents are received, the applicant will be issued an interim certificate valid for three (3) years. The applicant is then eligible to work in an Idaho school in the certificated/endorsed area indicated on the interim certificate under a mentor teacher.
Requirements to be completed during the 3-year interim:
To qualify for a five (5) year renewable Idaho certificate, the candidate must complete a state board approved mentor program and meet all conditions listed on the interim certificate for the specific certificate and endorsement areas within the 3-year interim certificate validity period.
Mentor Program Requirements*
The candidate will need to teach and complete a two (2) year state board approved teacher mentoring program that is aligned with the State Board Approved Mentor Program and receive two (2) years of successful evaluations during the three (3) year interim certificate to qualify for the five (5) year renewable Idaho certificate. The signed District/Charter Mentor Verification Form for Non-Traditional Completers form must be included with the application for the five (5) year renewable Idaho certificate.
*If you previously were working on mentor requirements listed on the Mentor Checklist (Impact on Student Learning, Performance Assessment Portfolio, Literature Review and Observation Standards for Assessing Teacher Performance and Proficiency Rubric) and the Evaluator Checklist, please work with your mentor and administrator to ensure alignment with the verifications of the District/Charter and Mentor Verification for Non-Traditional Completers (ABCTE, TFA, CSI or LCSC).
Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course/Assessment (All candidates)
The Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course (ICLC) is offered through university providers at a variety of venues throughout Idaho. The Idaho Comprehensive Literacy requirement can be fulfilled by completing and passing an in-person or online course, or by successful completion of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment. Please visit the English Language Arts/Literacy page for additional information on course providers.
Mathematical Thinking for Instruction/Teaching Mathematical Thinking (All candidates with the All Subjects K-8, Special Education and/or Mathematics endorsements)
The Mathematical Thinking for Instruction (MTI)/Teaching Mathematical Thinking (TMT) is a three-credit course that gives Idaho teachers and administrators the best practices and teaching strategies they need to help all students succeed in math. Please visit the Mathematics page for additional information on the course and course providers.
Mail complete packet to:
State Department of Education
Attn: Teacher Certification
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027
Frequently Asked Questions
No content available.