Initial Certificate for Postsecondary Specialist
This application process is for those individuals who hold a baccalaureate degree or higher in the content area to be taught in a public school and whose primary employment is teaching the same content area at an Idaho accredited postsecondary institution.
The primary use of this state-issued certificate shall be for distance education, "virtual classroom" programs, and for public and postsecondary partnerships.
Important: All required documents must be included in one packet for an application to be considered complete.
A complete application must include the following items:
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the Idaho Department of Education
- Credit cards are not accepted at this time
- Payment is non-refundable
- Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins
- Official transcripts must verify a baccalaureate or higher in the endorsement area(s)
- Official transcripts may be opened by the applicant as long as they are printed on the institution’s original security paper
- Please include transcripts with your packet to expedite your application
- If transcripts are not included with your packet, please note in your application whether you are sending them electronically or by mail
- Transcripts will not be accepted until two weeks after the application is received as we cannot link them to your application until it is received
- Official transcripts sent electronically/faxed directly from the university/college are acceptable
- The university/college may send electronic transcripts directly to email@example.com
- Recommendation must be signed by the faculty’s college dean from the accredited employing Idaho postsecondary institution
- The letter should indicate the candidate is employed as a current faculty member from an accredited Idaho postsecondary institution and the content area for which they are qualified to teach. Separation from the employing university shall invalidate the certificate
Upon completion of the above-noted items and verification that all requirements for certification are met, the applicant qualifies for an Idaho certificate issued for five (5) years.
Note: To renew the certificate, the renewal application packet must include a new recommendation from the postsecondary institution (faculty’s college dean official or higher).
Mail complete packet to:
Idaho Department of Education
Attn: Teacher Certification
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027
Frequently Asked Questions
No content available.
No content available.