Initial Certificate for Idaho Graduates
Fingerprinting Fee Reduction
- EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: SUBMIT FINGERPRINT CARD WITH NEW FEE OF $32.00.
- IMPORTANT: Fingerprint cards and fees submitted with the wrong amount will be returned delaying the processing of the fingerprint card.
The information below is for individuals who have completed a Teacher Preparation program at an Idaho college/university and are seeking their initial Idaho certificate. Check with your university/college prior to application to see if you need to apply directly through the college of education.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to have all required certification materials submitted together in one packet. An applicant who carefully prepares their application packet using the following guidelines will receive their certificate in the least amount of time. An application will not be evaluated until all materials have been received.
A completed initial packet must include the following items:
1. Completed and signed application Form B1.
- You may only apply for endorsements listed on the institutional recommendation.
2. Application Fee
- The fee is $75.
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education. Credit Cards are not accepted at this time. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins.
3. Completed fingerprint card.
- The fee is $32.00.
- Another background check is not required if the candidate was fingerprinted for student teaching within the last 3 years and that fingerprint card is the most current on file with the Idaho SDE.
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your mailing address to obtain an Idaho State Department of Education fingerprint card, or visit us at 650 W. State St, Second Floor, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm to pick one up. You must fingerprint on an Idaho SDE fingerprint card.
- Once you receive the fingerprint packet, take it to your local police department or sheriff’s office and have your prints rolled on the card. Please also have them fill out the necessary forms that go with it.
- The Idaho certificate will not be issued until the results of the background investigation check are received from the BCI/FBI.
One check or money order of $107.00 for both the Application Fee and Background Check fee is acceptable.
4. Official Transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- All transcripts need to be included with your application packet.
- Grade reports, faxed material, copies, placement files or other unofficial transcripts are not acceptable for certification.
- Official transcripts may be opened by the applicant as long as they are printed on the institution's original security paper.
- If you are requesting that your university send your electronic transcripts directly to us, please note that on your application and put in the transcript request after we have received your application.
5. Completed Institutional Recommendation Form B2.
- This form must be completed by the College of Education at your university.
6. Official Praxis II assessment score sheet
- A photocopy is acceptable
Initial certificate is issued for five (5) years. It expires August 31 of the appropriate year, unless otherwise specified.
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027
Frequently Asked Questions
No content available.