Certificate for Out-of-State Applicants
Fingerprinting Fee Reduction
- EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: SUBMIT FINGERPRINT CARD WITH NEW FEE OF $32.00.
- IMPORTANT: Fingerprint cards and fees submitted with the wrong amount will be returned delaying the processing of the fingerprint card.
This process is for individuals who hold a current, valid certificate in another state OR for those who do not hold a current out-of-state certificate but have completed a teacher preparation program approved by NCATE (National Council on Accreditation of Teacher Education), TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council) or CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation) within the last two years.
If the applicant holds a current, valid certificate in another state and submits a complete application, the applicant may receive a three (3)-year Idaho interim certificate (upon clearance of the background investigation check). The interim certificate will allow the applicant to work in an Idaho school in the certificated/endorsed area indicated on the interim certificate while completing any Idaho coursework and/or testing requirements. Once all deficiencies noted on the interim certificate are completed, the applicant may apply for a renewable, five (5)-year initial Idaho certificate (IDAPA 08.02.02.015).
If the initial evaluation demonstrates that the applicant meets all Idaho coursework and testing requirements, then a renewable, five (5)-year certificate will be issued instead of the interim certificate.
A complete packet must include the following items:
1. Completed and signed application Form B1.
2. Application Fee.
- The fee is $75.
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education. Credit Cards are not accepted at this time. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins.
3. Completed fingerprint card.
- The fee is $32.00.
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your mailing address to obtain an Idaho State Department of Education fingerprint card, or visit us at 650 W. State St, Second Floor, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm to pick one up. You must fingerprint on an Idaho SDE fingerprint card.
- Once you receive the fingerprint packet, take it to your local police department or sheriff’s office and have your prints rolled on the card. Please also have them fill out the necessary forms that go with it.
- The Idaho certificate will not be issued until the results of the background investigation check are received from the BCI/FBI.
One check or money order of $107.00 for both the Application Fee and Background Check fee is acceptable.
4. Copy of your current, valid certificate
- The certificate must have a visible, valid time period.
- A copy of a current, valid out-of-state certificate is required if you did not complete an NCATE-, TEAC- or CAEP-approved certification program in the last 2 years. If you completed an NCATE-, TEAC- or CAEP-approved certification program in the last 2 years, an Institutional Recommendation (see #6) will be accepted in place of the out-of-state certificate.
- If your state does not issue hard copy certificates, include a copy printed from its website verifying your certification. This copy does not need to be notarized.
5. Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- All transcripts need to be included with your application packet.
- Grade reports, faxed material, copies, placement files or other unofficial transcripts are not acceptable for certification.
- Official transcripts may be opened by the applicant as long as they are printed on the institution's original security paper.
- If you are requesting that your university send your electronic transcripts directly to us, please note that on your application and put in the transcript request after we have received your application.
6. Completed Institutional Recommendation Form*
- A completed Institutional Recommendation Form is required for any out-of-state applicant who holds a current, valid certificate in another state who does not have two (2) years of teaching experience.
- If you have two (2) years of teaching experience and you are an applicant for a Standard Elementary or Standard Secondary Certificate, please use Form B6 to verify teaching experience.
- Applicants for Standard Exceptional Child Certificates must include an Institutional Recommendation.
- Applicants for Administrator or Pupil Personnel Services Certificates (except for School Nurse) also are required to include an Institutional Recommendation form in their application. Applicants for Administrator Certificates must also include verification of four (4) years experience in a K-12 school setting.
*See below for links to Institutional Recommendation forms.
7. Official PRAXIS II assessment score sheet
- PRAXIS II scores are only required for applications for Standard Elementary, Standard Secondary, Standard Exceptional Child, and Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education certificates.
- PRAXIS scores are not needed for administrators or pupil personnel services.
- The PRAXIS II requirement may be waived if the out-of-state candidate can provide verification of a content mastery through a master's degree in the specific content area or verification of a current National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certificate in the specific content area.
If you have taken content testing other than PRAXIS to obtain your out-of-state certificate, please include a photocopy of the score sheets, as that testing may possibly be accepted in place of PRAXIS testing.
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027
- Form B2 – EC/ECSE Elementary, Secondary, Exceptional Child or Pupil Personnel Services
- Form B3 – PreK-12 School Principals
- Form B4 – School Superintendents
- Form B5 – Directors of Special Education
- Form B6 – Professional Experience Report
- Form B8 – Consulting Teacher of Special Education
- Form B9 – Supervisor of Special Education
Frequently Asked Questions
No content available.