Interim Certificate for Non-Traditional Candidates
Candidates who hold a Bachelor's degree may utilize a non-traditional route to teacher certification.
A computer-based route designed as an avenue to enter the teaching profession or to add additional certificates or endorsements to an already existing Idaho teaching credential. The candidate must first hold a Bachelor’s degree.
Teach for America is a program designed to enlist college graduates with a Bachelor’s degree to teach in low-income communities for two years.
TFA is a program designed to enlist college graduates with a Bachelor’s degree to teach in low-income communities for two years.
The Interim Certificate for Non-Traditional Candidates is if for candidates who have completed the American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE) testing and have the ABCTE Passport to Teaching certificate OR for Teach for America (TFA) candidates. The purpose of the three (3)-year interim certificate is to allow the candidate to serve as a Teacher of Record in the applicable area of certification/endorsement while he/she simultaneously completes the required mentor program.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to have all required certification materials submitted together in one packet. An applicant who carefully prepares their application packet using the following guidelines will receive their certificate in the least amount of time. An application will not be evaluated until all materials have been received.
A complete packet must include the following items:
1. Completed and signed Idaho Educator Certification Application.
2. Application Fee.
- The fee is $100.00
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education. Credit Cards are not accepted at this time. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins
3. Completed Background Investigation Check (BIC) Packet. A completed packet includes:
- Background Investigation Check Form
- Instructions for Handling Fingerprint Cards Form
- Non-Criminal Justice Privacy Statement Form
- State Department of Education Fingerprint Card
- $28.25 processing fee
- Check or money order made payable to the State Department of Education (SDE)
- Payment is non-refundable
- Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins
You may request a SDE BIC packet by sending an email with your name, full mailing address, and number of packets requested to email@example.com. Packets will be mailed out within five (5) business days. For questions regarding the BIC process, please call (208) 332-6888.
4. Copy of the original ABCTE certificate or TFA certificate.
When all required documents for a certificate are received and the fingerprinting/criminal history background investigation check is completed, the applicant will be issued an interim certificate valid for three (3) years, a cycle beginning September 1 of the year issued, unless otherwise specified, and expiring August 31 of the appropriate year. The applicant is then eligible to work in an Idaho school in the certificated/endorsed area indicated on the interim certificate under a mentor teacher.
The mentor components must start during the three (3)-year interim certificate in order qualify for the five (5)-year renewable initial Idaho certificate. Upon completion of the mentor requirements, the candidate can apply for the initial certificate.
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027
ABCTE & TFA Mentor Program Requirements
Frequently Asked Questions
No content available.