Interim Certificate for Non-Traditional Candidates
Fingerprinting Fee Reduction
- EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: SUBMIT FINGERPRINT CARD WITH NEW FEE OF $32.00.
- IMPORTANT: Fingerprint cards and fees submitted with the wrong amount will be returned delaying the processing of the fingerprint card.
The Interim Certificate for Non-Traditional Candidates is if for candidates who have completed the American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE) testing and have the ABCTE Passport to Teaching certificate OR for Teach for America (TFA) candidates.
The purpose of the three (3)-year interim certificate is to allow the candidate to serve as a Teacher of Record in the applicable area of certification/endorsement while he/she simultaneously completes the required mentor program.
TFA is a program designed to enlist college graduates with a Bachelor’s degree to teach in low-income communities for two years.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to have all required certification materials submitted together in one packet. An applicant who carefully prepares their application packet using the following guidelines will receive their certificate in the least amount of time. An application will not be evaluated until all materials have been received.
A complete packet must include the following items:
1. Completed and signed application Form B1-A.
2. Application Fee.
- The fee is $100.
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education. Credit Cards are not accepted at this time. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins.
3. Completed fingerprint card.
- The fee is $32.00
- Please send an email to email@example.com with your mailing address to obtain an Idaho State Department of Education fingerprint card, or visit us at 650 W. State St, Second Floor, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm to pick one up. You must fingerprint on an Idaho SDE fingerprint card.
- Once you receive the fingerprint packet, take it to your local police department or sheriff’s office and have your prints rolled on the card. Please also have them fill out the necessary forms that go with it.
- The Idaho certificate will not be issued until the results of the background investigation check are received from the BCI/FBI.
One check or money order of $132.00 for both the Application Fee and Background Check fee is acceptable.
4. Copy of the original ABCTE certificate or TFA certificate.
When all required documents for a certificate are received and the fingerprinting/criminal history background check is completed, the applicant will be issued an interim certificate valid for three (3) years, a cycle beginning September 1 of the year issued, unless otherwise specified, and expiring August 31 of the appropriate year. The applicant is then eligible to work in an Idaho school in the certificated/endorsed area indicated on the interim certificate under a mentor teacher.
The mentor components must start during the three (3)-year interim certificate in order qualify for the five (5)-year renewable initial Idaho certificate. Upon completion of the mentor requirements, the candidate can apply for the initial certificate.
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027