Initial Certificate for Postsecondary Specialist
This application process below is for those individuals who hold a master's degree or higher in a content area and are employed as a current faculty member in that content area. Separation from the employing university shall invalidate the certificate.
The primary use of this state-issued certificate shall be for distance education, "virtual classroom" programs, and for public and postsecondary partnerships.
A complete packet must include the following items:
1. Completed and signed application Form B1.
2. Application Fee.
- The fee is $75.00.
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education. Credit Cards are not accepted at this time. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins.
3. Completed Idaho State Department of Education fingerprint card. For information regarding the fingerprinting process visit the Background Investigation Check page
4. Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- All transcripts need to be included with your application packet.
- Grade reports, faxed material, copies, placement files or other unofficial transcripts are not acceptable for certification.
- Official transcripts may be opened by the applicant as long as they are printed on the institution's original security paper.
- If you are requesting that your university send your electronic transcripts directly to us, please note that on your application and put in the transcript request after we have received your application.
5. University Recommendation from the accredited employing postsecondary institution
- Recommendation must be signed by the faculty's college dean.
- The letter should indicate the candidate is employed as a current faculty member from an accredited Idaho postsecondary institution and the content area for which they are qualified to teach. Separation from the employing university shall invalidate the certificate.
Upon completion of the above-noted items and verification that all requirements for certification are met, the applicant qualifies for a standard Idaho certificate/credential issued for five (5) years.
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027
Frequently Asked Questions
No content available.
No content available.