Renewed certificates are valid from September 1 to August 31 of any given year. All regular Idaho credentials must be renewed every five (5) years to remain valid.

The certificated educator has sole responsibility for maintaining current, valid Idaho certification. For renewal purposes, the applicant must meet current State Board of Education rule, IDAPA and IDAPA

A complete packet must include the following items:

1. Completed and signed application Form B1-R.
2. Application Fee.

  • The fee is $75.
  • Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education. Credit Cards are not accepted at this time. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins.

3. If you are currently teaching in an Idaho public school as a multi-subject K-8 teacher or K-12 special education teacher, you need verification of completion of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course (ICLC) or passage of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment (ICLA). A list of approved providers is available in the Files tab below.

The assessment is offered through Boise State University (contact Lisa DeRosier at or (208) 426-2862) and through Idaho State University (contact Mr. Gabriel Rodriguez at or the ISU College of Education.

4. Verification of completion of the Idaho Mathematics in-service Program (MTI/TMT) if you are working in an Idaho public school as a math teacher or K-8 teacher. Additional information is available in the Links tab below.

5. Verification of six (6) professional development credits 

  • Official transcripts and/or in-service forms showing verification of the six (6) credits earned during the validity period of the credential must be included with the application.

  1. Must be educationally related to the professional development of the applicant.
  2. Credits may be specifically tied to any content area; credits outside of your area of endorsement are acceptable
  3. For administrators, must be specific to instructional best practices or for administrative/teacher leadership; or be tied to a specific area of need designated by district administration
  4. At least three (3) semester credits must be taken for university or college credit at 100 level or above
  5. In-service hours:
    • Idaho educators who hold a current Idaho teaching certificate can use up to three (3) Idaho district approved, non-university in-service hours to meet the six (6) semester credit hours required for certificate renewal.
    • Fifteen (15) contact hours are equivalent to one (1) in-service hour.
    • Form B7 must be completed by the proper official at an Idaho school district or Idaho private school for the in-service to count toward certificate renewal.
  6. Continuing Education Units (CEU)
  7. Official transcripts
    • Grade reports, faxed material, copies, placement files or other unofficial transcripts are not acceptable for certification.
    • Official transcripts may be opened by the applicant as long as they are printed on the institution's original security paper.
    • If the transcripted course is not directly educationally related to the content area, a signed B13 - Verification of College/University Course Content Approval form must accompany the official transcripts.
    • Official transcripts must be submitted with the renewal application to verify the renewal credits
    • If you are requesting that your university send your electronic transcripts directly to us, please note that on your application and put in the transcript request after we have received your application.
    • Send electronic transcripts to

You may renew by choosing one of the following options:
1. Mail in a completed packet
2. Online with a credit card

You may only renew online if you are not making any changes to your personal information or credentials. If you need to change your address or name or need to update your credentials, you will need to mail us a completed application packet.

There will be a convenience fee of $3.25 added to each online renewal transaction. If you do not wish to pay this fee, you will need to mail a completed packet as described below.

If you hold an Occupational Specialist certificate, do NOT use the on-line renewal process. For information on renewing an Occupational Specialist certificate, view the Career & Technical Education (CTE)'s Certification Home Page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Training Resources

No content available.