Interim Certificate for School Nurse or Speech Language Pathologist

The three (3)-year Interim Certificate for School Nurse (SN) or Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) allows the candidate to serve as a School Nurse or Speech Language Pathologist while simultaneously completing the requirements to qualify for the five (5)-year, renewable Pupil Personnel Services certificate.

Applicants for the School Nurse endorsement should hold a current, valid Registered Nurse (RN) license with the Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses. Applicants for the Speech Language Pathologist endorsement should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Speech Language Pathology.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to have all required certification materials submitted together in one packet. An applicant who carefully prepares their application packet using the following guidelines will receive their certificate in the least amount of time. An application will not be evaluated until all materials have been received.

A complete packet must include the following items:

1. Completed and signed application Form B1-A.
2. Application Fee.

  • The fee is $75.
  • Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education. Credit Cards are not accepted at this time. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins.

3. Completed fingerprint card.

  • The fee is $32.00
  • Please send an email to with your mailing address to obtain an Idaho State Department of Education fingerprint card, or visit us at 650 W. State St, Second Floor, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm to pick one up. You must fingerprint on an Idaho SDE fingerprint card.
  • Once you receive the fingerprint packet, take it to your local police department or sheriff’s office and have your prints rolled on the card. Please also have them fill out the necessary forms that go with it.
  • The Idaho certificate will not be issued until the results of the background investigation check are received from the BCI/FBI.

One check or money order of $107.00 for both the Application Fee and Background Check fee is acceptable.

4. For School Nurse – Copy of the Registered Nurse (RN) license and official transcript.

  • If your state does not issue hard copy certificates, include a copy printed from its website verifying your certification. This copy does not need to be notarized.

5. For Speech Language Pathologist – Official college/university transcripts of the Bachelor’s in Speech Language Pathology.

When all required documents for a certificate are received and the fingerprinting/criminal history background check is completed, the applicant will be issued an interim certificate valid for three (3) years, a cycle beginning September 1 of the year issued, unless otherwise specified, and expiring August 31 of the appropriate year. The applicant is then eligible to work in an Idaho school in the certificated/endorsed area indicated on the interim certificate.

Frequently Asked Questions

No content available.

Training Resources

No content available.